Friday 11 May 2007

Cure for Hoop Withdrawal, ACB or Bundesliga?

It's been now two weeks since our last game of the season and today I can surely state I had my first twitch for needing a fix. I want to see a game. Not on the box, in the flesh.

I have to admit, over the past several months I've developed a bit of a taste for the Spanish top league, the ACB; reputedly the best league basketball after the NBA. Between Eurosport's coverage of the ULEB Cup showing plenty of Real Madrid as well as the weekly one hour Spanish Basketball League Review, I've seen quite a few games and liked what I've seen. Roy Birch provides quite a bit of information in his commentary for us UK based viewers and I've really enjoyed the titbits he's put into the public domain. I'm looking forward to meeting him.

Not adverse myself to noticing advertising in the papers regarding a 'price war' between Ryanair and EasyJet offering 'tons' of cheap plane tickets (carbon footprints be damned), I thought a bit of research was in order. Opportunity sniffed.

Open browser, Google ACB...after this weekend it's playoff time in the ACB. Considering the fact I'm a Madrid-junkie already, I think the time has come to see Real in their Vistalegra Arena. 15,000 seater. The Full Monty. But what of Barcelona? Or Valencia? Click click.

Great site...but...

Where can I find the schedule, in English?

Nothing here. How dare they print their entire website in Spanish without an English button. Oh stop; just joking. I did actually look for the English language button though. Must ask for some insights from people in Spain about the scheduling.

Tickets, I don't worry about. It's not that I have friends in high places, but the last time I scalped tickets to see Real Madrid FC in Madrid, I only spent £40 for €20 tickets, so how bad can I get done for basketball tickets?

Let's have a look at Ryanair out of Gatwick...

Ireland only.

I am not going to Stansted. That would take as long as the flight to Spain.

EasyJet.

WTF?

Minimum £100 with two weeks advance notice? What happened to the £1 tickets?

Some of these are £200+...even to places I have no idea where they are or if they have basketball.

Hey look at this, Girona is listed as Barcelona. There's an ACB team in Girona. Just learned something there.

Must be the time of year and the warm weather, but Spain does not look like it's cheap to get to.

Blatant false advertising!

But I need a fix.

Where can I go to see top quality basketball on short notice on short haul flight. I don't care if the weather and food are as miserable as England--where can I go?

Germany...

No comments: